Monday, December 6, 2010

Dandy Don - Part II

I grew up in Dallas, but I was only a 2 years old when Don Meredith retired. My Mom said I learned how to cuss listening to my Dad yell at Meredith through the television, but that's another story for another day. Suffice to say I learned the lesson well. Anyway, I knew Meredith more, obviously, from his work on Monday Night Football, back when MNF was an event no matter how lousy that particular week's game might have been on the field. I knew Meredith had been in pretty bad health these last few years, so the news of his passing wasn't necessarily a surprise. But it was still a pretty shocking kick to the gut on a Monday morning. It's definitely a sad day if you're a Cowboy fan; it doesn't matter whether or not you're old enough to have actually seen him play. If you think Tony Romo took some heat for his trip to Cabo a couple of years back, that's nothing compared to the crap Meredith had to put up with around here. It had to have been pretty bad to force him from the game when he was only 31 years old. Thanks for the memories, Don. You will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment